Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Sometimes It's Better To Leave

Scars adorned Willie's body. For the umpteenth time, his mother had hit him, and poured scalding-hot water all over his body, as punishment for the perfect score he did not get. "I want a 100% for each and every subject! No less than that!" His mother had threatened. And when he didn't he had gotten hell from her. First came the belt, then the water. 'What else is to come?' Willie thought. He did not cry at each of his "punishments". No, he had no need for tears.
'Why weep when I have done my best? This is my life, and I live for myself,' he thought.

Willie got up and started to clean himself up. ‘One day, when I make my mark, I won’t ever let you look down on me again, ever,’ he thought. Suddenly, the door creaked opened, and Lisa walked in. “You must understand, Willie, that I hit you only for your own good,” she told her son. “Look at that wastrel of a dad you had. He left us just as he found a rich lady to woo.” Then, she started to laugh. “I’m glad he didn’t get a chance to marry her. He didn’t deserve it. We mustn’t let him look down on us. You have to take revenge. Come, give me a hug, Mom won’t ever blame you if you get 100 marks for all your subjects the next exam.”

“So, it’s all because of the feud between you and the Dad I never knew?” Willie screamed, enraged. “You’d compromise my happiness and dreams to achieve your ultimate revenge?! NEVER!” Willie stood stock still, unwilling to go forward and embrace his mother.

“You ingrate! I raised you, fed you, clothed you and here you say you don’t want to listen to your own mother?!” Lisa screeched. “I knew I should never have bore you, you worthless creep. You’re all the same, men, all ingrates!” She stormed out of the room.

“Yeah! Get out! Get out of my life. You want revenge? Go do it on your own!” with that, Willie ran and packed his belongings. ‘Witch, tyrant…’ he cursed in his mind. Willie walked out of his room, taking only his clothes and the little bit of money he had on him. As he turned the doorknob of what was once his house, he swore never to turn back again.

‘I’ll build a life of my own from now on. If I die, it’ll be of my own doing, not yours. My life is not meant to be spent as a puppet.’ Willie thought.

As Willie left the vicinity of his neighbourhood, a whisper from the wind breathed, “That’s right my boy, leave your mother, or she’ll kill you like she did to me. I’m sorry I couldn’t watch you grow.” His late father had spoken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home